Monday, January 23, 2006

Converse Lilly McCurdy son of James and Abigail


Lately I've been doing quite a bit of research on my great great Grandfather Converse Lilly McCurdy. I was once ask if I had proof that Converse of my line was the same Converse born to James McCurdy and Abigail Ford. I thought this was obvious but decided it would be good to prove it for my own records.
The first evidence I found to support our Converse, is from the 1880 United States Census, the state of Ma. It list Octavia L. McCurdy as being the aunt in law to Edward B. Kinsley who was Married to Hannah N. McCurdy the daughter of our Converse. The records of Hallowell list Octavia as a daughter of James and Abigail. So here we have a Converse with a sister named Octavia. What are the chances of brother and sister with these names not being the same as the one's from Hallowell. The only thing that didn't match was Octavia birth year, but if you've done research before it's not out of the ordinary that this date could be wrong and she still be the right person. This did bother me a little so I kept searching for more proof.
I think I now have pretty good proof. I've recently found on newenglandancestors.org in the Massachusetts Vital Records, 1841 to 1910 Converse's death record. According to this record he was born in Hallowell. He died on 22 Nov. 1876 in Wakefield Ma. His Father is listed as James born in Bristol and his Mother as Abigail born in Jefferson.