Monday, March 31, 2008

Early Maine McCurdy Cousins

I want to thank all the cousins that I have found through the internet. It's been awhile since I've contacted some of them. I hope they will drop me an email if they see this post or leave a comment. Most of the cousins I met through the website genealogy.com. I first met Marian Walker who has sent some material to place on our website. She descends from James and Abigail Ford McCurdy like myself. Then I met Judy Machnik also at genealogy.com. She is a descendant of John and Anna Hilton McCurdy like myself. Then there is Cindy Oder who descends from Thomas McCurdy who married his cousin Elizabeth Hilton. There is Dawn Baker who has also sent me quite a bit of info. She descends from Elizabeth McCurdy daughter of Thomas McCurdy and Miss Kilpatrick. I've written Jean Masters a couple of times I beleive she descends from John and Anna Hilton McCurdy. Mike Daigle surfed in a few months back. He like Dawn descends from Elizabeth McCurdy who married John Calderwood. Then there's Ruth York who also comes from the Calderwood McCurdy line. And of course there's Kris Williams who has helped me tremendously she is the one who helped me find the yahoo website info and helped me get started. Thanks a bunch Kris. The Last cousin I met was just about a month ago and that would be Philip McCurdy also from James and Abigail McCurdy. You can read about it in a previous post. Let's see that would make nine cousins. Not many but hey, we've just begun.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Michael---are you in anyway related to the Elmer J. McCurdy outlaw who was found mummified and hanging by a noose in a funhouse in CA? If so, I'm writing a book about him. Could you contact me? darleen@darleenbaileybeard.com. Thanks!

12:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I forgot to say, Elmer was the son of a 17-year old Sadie McCurdy. She was the daughter of a Harden and Abbie McCurdy. They all lived in Maine in several areas during the 1800s. Elmer had two uncles named George and Charles McCurdy. George's wife was named Helen. They had a cousin named Charles Davis who is thought to be Elmer's father. No one knows for sure. Elmer wasn't accepted by his family since his mother wasn't married. She gave him to her brother George to raise. Around age 20 he left maine, traveled westward, and ended up in Iola Kansas, and Oklahoma where he was shot by a sheriff's posse, mummified in Pawhuska, OK, and sold to the circus. Strange story. He was discovered in 1976 in a CA funhouse. His discovery made international headlines. No McCurdy family showed up to claim his body so he was buried in Oklahoma among the very guys he used to rob banks and trains with....such a fun and crazy story. Sad, too, that he wasn't accepted when he was alive and even after his death in 1911. Then he had another chance for his family to accept him in 1976 upon his discovery, and no one did.

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home